RE: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #1177

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 07:45:12 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Lazarus Miskowski <lazmiskowski at yahoo_com>
> Subject: Re:  Fish stress, O2 and pH
>
> >>I don't know about the O2 situation, but I think the
> pH swings sound like bad news. .4 pH units in a day is
> pretty hefty. The fish are clearly surviving, but I
> bet if the pH stabilized they'd be much happier and
> more long-lived.<<
>
> Regarding pH swings.  In my Aquariology fish disease
> book, it talks about procedure before introducing fish
> into tanks.  It says that fish can tolerate very large
> pH swings without ill effect, based on studies I
> think, and not to worry so much about the pH.  It does
> say to be careful about adding tank water to the fish
> bag, as it may increase the pH and increase the
> NH3/NH4+ ratio.  Also, for what it's worth, Jack
> Wattley says that pH fluctuations are good for fish (I
> have no idea what he bases that on).  So I wonder if
> maintaining strict pH's is really important.  Also I
> wonder if pH changes in natural bodies of water day
> versus night.
>
> Arthur
> http://www.geocities.com/anwestover

I agree, pH definitely changes in natural bodies of water on a daily
basis.  In fairly eutrophic (lots of algae) lakes you can get shifts
of 1-2 pH units from mid afternoon values (max photosynthesis)
and those at night.  Certainly I don't think a slow shift of
0.4 through a daily cycle should cause any problems whatsoever.

Cheers,

Alec Dale
http://www.gov.bc.ca/elp/