Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #1168

> Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 22:28:29 EDT
> From: CDELAHUNT at aol_com
> Subject: Re: Second request, how to deal with Amazon swords
>
> I didn't get any responses to my first inquiry, so I am trying again.  I
> really need to know if Amazon sword plants (E. Amazonicus? -- your regular
> kind, not a variety that stays small) can be contained somehow, or are only
> meant for very large tanks.  I have a 38 gallon that is about 90% full of
> plants thanks to Amazon sword "takeover".  Is there a way to prune them so
> that they still survive and look good?  It is overshadowing everything else
> in the tank.  I really like the way it looks, but in a short time I think I
> am going to end up with an "Amazon sword tank" instead of a planted aquarium.
>
> If there is some way to control this monster, then great!  But if not, I
> would like it to go to a good home -- I need to trade it for something,
> because it is going to leave a huge hole if I have to take it out.
>
> Thanks,
> Catherine

I would only suggest them for large tanks.  Having said this, I must
admit that I have a 10 gallon tank with two radicans that cover the
entire tank.  It has a nice forested look, with a canopy and all that.
But anyway, if you want to keep your amazons small, I suggest pulling
them up and stripping away the outer leaves until they are a size that
suits you.

--
Nick Wise
nwwise01 at netzero_net