Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #1162

> Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 23:08:53 -0500
> From: ". ." <cameroncase at hotmail_com>
> Subject: glass
>
> My apologies in advance, as this is not a plant question.
>
> If you are still reading...is 2.5 mm too thin for the making of a 36" x 16"
> x 16" aquarium (that will, of course, be planted...so maybe this is plant
> related somewhat)?  I think this is ~ 1/8" but I'm not sure.  Would it help
> if it were 36x12x12?
>
> Cameron

Cameron,

2.5 mm is about 3/32", not quite 1/8".

Required glass thickness is driven, primarily by the depth of the tank, and secondly, by the length.  A 16" tall tank should have 1/4" thick glass.  A 12" tall tank should have at least 1/8" glass.  10 gallon tanks, which are 12" tall use 1/8" glass.  3/32" would be awfully fragile in my opinion, assuming it worked at all.

Bob Ashcraft
Pittsburgh, PA