rocks in the aquarium

Roger,

The "iron oxide?" I was referring to in my slate will dissolve in water if
you bump the slowly increasing deposits they form underwater.  It is almost
powdery out of the water and readily makes a mess and dissolves if you run
your finger across it in the tank.  You said...

"...are bound mostly in stable forms that won't dissolve or break down in an
aquarium" and
"Plants need iron in only minute concentrations, so any amount in the water
is useful to plants, but most of the iron in rocks is in such stable forms
that it won't get into the water in even minute quantities.  .."

Even though it dissolves would it still be stable such that I shouldn't
worry about it affecting the plants?

Thanks,

Daphne