Re:rocks for the aquarium

>>I think Amano pointed out in his first book that jagged rocks looked
unnatural in an aquarium, and that rounded river stones produce a more
harmonious effect.  I agree completely with that idea.  River stones
also have the advantage that they usually have fairly smooth surfaces;
there are few crevices and pits for algae to get a hold in where your
algae-cleaning crew can't get them out.  As a result, smooth stones stay
looking better under water then do rough or jagged stones.<<

Asthetics are certainly a personal choice. I have seen some of the most
gawdy looking aquariums with bright colored rocks and glass. Wether the
rocks are smooth or rough I think really depends on the look you are going
for. Not all of our fish come from rivers and streams, open lakes around the
world can be diverse. What I like about quartz in its many forms, (other
than crystal) is that it is very smooth, not too heavy, roundish in shape,
and about the size of a baseball, (at least the ones I get) I did find
references to "false" onyx. True onyx is characterized by the uniform white
bands. Some quartz such as blue quartz is dyed to attain the color, while
rose, honey, and most others are of natural color.

Roger, I didnt know, or remember that you are a geologist! You are a man of
many talents! I think you partially answered my question on oxides, but can
you anser this: how much of a concern is rocks leeching their metals into
the water? Can plants utilize iron oxide from rocks, without it being broken
up into soil where it reacts to organics, and are minerals such as zinc or
copper that may be deep within the rock pose any threat?  And lastly, what
other minerals besides calcite can affect pH? I think you mentioned one
already.

Robert Paul H
http://www.aquabotanic.com