ADA Products !!!

On July 16, James Purchase wrote:
Forgive my excitement, I tend to be a shop-a-holic, but it looks like Aqua
Design Amano products are available once again to those North American
aquarists willing to spend the bucks for them..... of course, the source is
in Europe, so the costs of shipping are going to have to be factored in, but
heck, its gonna be cheaper than a trip to Japan.....

I was looking at ADA's Japanese web-site and followed a link to their
European operations, where I found yet another link called "Aqua Goods"
(http://www.aquagoods.com/). From the information on the web-site they will
apparently ship anywhere in the world and accept the standard credit cards
that most of us have (they quote prices in Euro dollars).

Having gone the "shop Europe" route before, I'd caution anyone interested to
be aware of how much Duty your local federal government will add to imported
goods (for Canada, most aquarium equipment gets hit with a 20% duty, while
fertilizers come in duty free - a "mixed shipment" containing both
fertilizers and equipment will get hit with duty on the entire order).

But at least the stuff is available, for those who want it.......

James Purchase
Toronto

When I first got back into the hobby last January I was interested in
purchasing some of the ADA CO2 gear.  I have a tank where there is no place
for a larger one and their 74 gram CO2 stuff looked like a great solution.
I was also interested in some of the gravel because I liked the color.  I
found the Aquagoods web site and tried to get some info before placing an
order.  I e-mailed them and got a response asking me for a list specific
items to be sure they were in stock before I placed the order.  It appeared
the response came from Italy where ADA Europe is.  I e-mailed the list along
with a list of additional questions and never got another response.  I was a
little leery of placing an order after they didn't answer my second e-mail.

I don't want to discourage anyone from ordering from them.  I have never
done any business with them so for all I know they are great to deal with
and my e-mail or theirs was simply lost.  If anyone orders or has ordered
from them and receives their order I would like to know how it went.  One of
my questions was something James alluded to:  import duties.  Another major
concern was shipping.  I was curious if the items could be dropped shipped
from Japan.  Since I assume that all of their products originate in Japan,
it made a lot more sense to me (much cheaper) to have a bunch of gravel go
across the Pacific to get here (about 3-4000 miles) rather than most of the
way around the world (> 20,000 miles).  As I needed to order a lot of
gravel, probably as much as I weigh, if something that heavy is going to get
freighted around the world I would rather it be me : ).

Please post or e-mail me off list.  There are several items I would still
like to get.

Thanks
Charles