Re: pleco question

In February this year I purchased two small bristle nose (I think) plecos.
One has grown considerably from 3/4" to 2 1/2", he has become lighter and
his pattern has become very distinct.  The other is darker, much smaller in
size and probably only 1 1/4".  They were both the same size when I bought
them, both always seem to be munching on something (I leave chunks of
zucchini in the tank for them), both appear active and healthy, but because
of the size difference and difference now in colour, they could be two
different species of fish.  Could it just be the difference between male or
female?

Gail