Re: What are the risk of yeast seeping into water?

First and foremost, I would like to apologise for quoting Thomas Barr in
saying that yeast pose an algae threat. I misread his reply regarding to
"more light" to an APD member. Sorry :)

As for my CO2 setup, I have been doing it for more than 3 mths and is doing
fine. The CO2 bottle is placed beneath a semi-suspended driftwood hidden
from the front view. The gas emitted will be trapped within the cavities
below the driftwood so that they won't disappear so fast to the surface.

Due to the small capacity of the bottle, I have to work extra diligent in
changing the mixture every 5-6 days which I'm willing to do so. I add about
4 sachets of fine sugar ( for coffee ) and less than 1/8 teaspoon of yeast
and fill the 100 ml bottle up to about 80 % full. I've observed that if too
much yeast is added, it foams alot and perhaps might be used up faster.
After shaking the mixture thoroughly, I let the bottle stand for at least an
hour so that the chamber will be filled with CO2. After which I can just
place it directly in the water. However, the rate at which it emits bubbles
is not constant but overall dissolved CO2 would be constant. Sometimes, it
produces 3 bubbles per second, sometimes a squirt of more than a hundred
tiny bubbles within 10 seconds. I do not worry about water seeping into the
bottle as the gas pressure built up within will not allow it to do so and
can only emit gas.

Sometimes, yeast does get into my tank by accident. When I noticed that CO2
production is noticeably lower, I would take the bottle up, press the
stopper, shake vigourously and put it back in the water. But the moment I
release my thumb from the stopper, it exploded blowing the whole stopper out
and the milky solution gets into my tank water. My tank is definitely
contaminated with yeast but clarity of water remains good. What I'm worried
about is that yeast might react with my plant nutrients rendering it useless
for plant use. Will it?