Re: nitrates

> If the present nitrate level is undectectible and
> there is a lot of algae,
> then it's because whatever nitrate is present in the
> water is being used up
> by the algae.

Regarding nitrates, I do not add any.  My tanks have
never had nitrate readings over 5 ppm, and often hover
near 0 (by means of the somewhat rough AP test).  And
yet I am growing vigorous, hungry stemmed plants.  The
reason is that my tank is more or less at a nitrogen
equilibrium.  Input=output.  Without evidence of
deficiency, I see no reason to add nitrates.  But
having said that, probably a lot of people in a high
light/co2 tank will experience deficiency.

Arthur
http://www.geocities.com/anwestover