Re: Florida crypt

       To: "APD" <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
       Subject: Florida crypt
       From: "Tomoko Schum" <tomokoschum at earthlink_net>
       Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 22:59:33 -0500

Hi all,

I saw this plant that looks like a type of  vals but
very narrow leaved.  LFS calls it Florida crypt.  Does
anyone know this plant?

Tomoko

The name, Florida crypt usually refers to Physostegia purpurea, or P.
leptophylla, (I don't know if we have two species or one species with two
names)  which has rather crypt-like leaves with petioles and elongated
irregularly wavy blades.  It isn't related to crypts at all.  Kasselmann
says it grows slowly submersed and requires good light, nutrition and CO2
additions.  It is easier to grow emersed.  It seems to be mostly sold as a
pond plant---a "hardy marginal"--- rather than an aquarium plant.  Whatever
that narrow-leaved plant is, I doubt it is the "real" Florida crypt.

 See:

http://floridafriendlyplants.com/PLANT_LIST/FLORIDA_CRYPT/florida_crypt.html

Paul Krombholz, in  central Mississippi where we are starting to get hot,
humid and dry, again.