Texas indigenous plants (was Re: Aquatic Plants digest V4 #1131)

To: <Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com>
       Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #1131
       From: "Steven Pituch" <spituch at ev1_net>
       Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 19:36:23 -0500

Hi all,
My son and I have been traveling the countryside down here in Texas for the
past two weekends looking for indigenous aquatic plants.  We have had a
little success.  Our nicest discovery so far was a nice little sword plant.
We are a bit surprised that we have only found one swordplant so
far....<rest of message deleted>.......

Steve Pituch, in sub-tropical TX

I think your sword plant is Echinodorus barteroi, the cellophane sword.  It
produces a variety of shapes of leaves underwater, ranging from
strap-shaped to chordate, to heart-shaped, and then starts producing
floating and emergent leaves.  The submersed leaves are somewhat
transparent and quite beautiful, but the plant has a strong tendency to
produce emersed leaves.  About the only way to prevent emersed leaves is to
severely prune the plant back, keeping it small.

Paul Krombholz, in  central Mississippi where we are starting to get hot,
humid and dry, again.