Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #1131

Hi all,
My son and I have been traveling the countryside down here in Texas for the
past two weekends looking for indigenous aquatic plants.  We have had a
little success.  Our nicest discovery so far was a nice little sword plant.
We are a bit surprised that we have only found one swordplant so far.

We are even more surprised to have captured some fish.  The first group from
last week seem to be Gambusia affinis (Mosquito fish).  Last week we noticed
some red flashes in the water and thought we saw a red finned fish.  I read
through my old Innes book and found a reference to the only Characin in the
USA (Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus).  We returned to the site this weekend
with a net and caught about a dozen fish.  One is much more colored than the
others.  I have two photos of them at the bottom of this web page:
http://users.ev1.net/~spituch/Steve's%20Page/Aquarium/Texas%20Plants/July%20
1,%202001/07012001exp.html
(I know that this is a lot to type, but you may be able to just click on it
and go to the page, or at least cut and paste the address.)
I also have a picture of the sword plant on the page.
If anyone knows anything about these fish (and the plant) I would appreciate
the info.

Thanks,

Steve Pituch, in sub-tropical TX