Old bacteria

Hi everyone,

As many of the regular APDers already know from my previous postings (and I thank them for they valuable help), I am putting together a 55 gal planted tank. When I got the tank (from a relative) it came with a Eheim 2215 and a Emperor. I am not going to use the Emperor in my setup but I have a question. When the previous owner of the tank stopped using it, he kept the bioweels in a zipplog bag filed with water from the tank, thinking that the next owner could use the bacteria to speed up the
cycling process when starting a new setup. I got the zipplog bag with the "old bacteria" when I got everything else from him. The possibility of having some bacteria to start my tank is appealing and I first considered and I thought about just dumping the mentioned bioweels in the tank and leaving them there for a few weeks. But since the bioweels have been in that bag for several months (9 or 10) I don't know if the bacteria is still "good" to use or if using it would be more like adding an
"infection bomb" to my tank.

I would appreciate any comments on this subject.

Best regards,

Diego

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. This message may be an attorney-client communication and/or work product and as such is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.