Re: Flourite, Profile, Clay Soil Conditioner, Turface

James, I believe Florite was "fired," albeit not in a kiln but by way of
natural geologic processes.

To my once-a-geology-major-eyes, Flourite is a sedimentary shale of some
kind.  It got the way it is because it was squeezed together by the weight
of rocks built up on to of it.  The pressure would have also heated it up
and cooked it somewhat, but not to the point of melting or even substantial
recrystallization.  I would hazard to guess the temperature might have been
as high as 800-900 deg F.

(If the pressure and heat were higher, we would have a metamorphic rock,
with a greater degree of recrystallization of the orginal minerals, and if
even higher, igneous.  I would hypothesize, as I think you do, that the more
the original constitutents are cooked, the more inert the resulting mineral
forms and the less and bio-available its elements will be).

Chin See Ming