Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #1129

Bob Olesen wrote:
"Scott,
I'm in Florida and the same shipment out of A.A.G on my end yielded 10
out of 12 shrimp alive and only 2 out of the 10 SAE's alive. The eight
dead SAE's looked a little too chewed on to have received such damage
during the course of only a day from the two tiny SAE's that were left.
The 8 bodies were pretty badly decomposed and the odor on opening the
bag didn't smell like anything that could been generated overnight
either.

Bob Olesen
West Palm Beach"

Thanks for the comments, Bob.  My bag of SAEs too smelled absolutely
foul.  I was amazed that two of the SAEs were still alive when I opened
the bag, although they didn't last much longer.

On the other hand, it's pretty amazing what heat can do in a small
time.  I suspect that it would speed up some biochemical processes,
including those bacterial activities we call rotting. How fast do fish
putrefy?  Can anyone else address this issue?

Scott