Does liquid fertilizer sink to the bottom without filtration?

I have a 2 ft fully planted aquarium with 72 watts lighting, runs on UGF and
DIY CO2. In the past, my aeration was turned on all day and daily dose of
liquid fertilizer was added. Stem plants like didiplis diandra and ludwidgia
repens thrived well in my tank. Then I learnt that surface water movement
can eliminate content of dissolved CO2 in water. And so I turned off my
aeration completely when I turned on the lights, and vice versa.
Coincidently or not, my stem plants like those mentioned above began to
slowly die off despite daily doses of liquid fertilizer. However, plants
like nymphaea lotus, sword plants and deeply rooted plants are still doing
great. My deduction would be that since there is no circulation of water in
the day, all the liquid fertilizer would gather into the substrate and
therefore the stem plants absorbed very little nutrients through their
leaves? Advice needed again. Thanks.