Re: algae

>>Small swings are inevitable and not usually much of
a problem.  I think the basic problem with Arthur's
tank is that it's a high light, CO2-supplemented tank
with (as a discus grow-out tank) a big rate of
nutrient influx.  There has to be a high rate of
nutrient use in the tank to balance that influx.  Even
a small temporary reduction in the nutrient uptake
rate by the plants can cause nutrient levels to spike.
 The concentrations return to normal when growth rates
resume, but in the mean time the algae have taken
hold.  The spike may last no more than a few days
before levels return to normal, so Arthur might have
to test daily to even see the spike.<<

I agree with this analysis.  A drop in the defenses of
one (the plants) leads to an offensive from the other
(algae).

>> I appreciate those that really
>> delve into the technical aspects of fertilization,
>> but
>> I am of the more practical variety, that just wants
> >the plants to look good for as little headache as
>> possible, so I can move onto the aesthetic tasks of
>> making the arrangement look good.

>Nice goal, and a significantly different goal from
>wanting to grow
>anything that will burgeon under water.

Roger, I don't know if you are referring to the
"collector" hobbyist, who wishes to grow as many
different kinds of plants as he/she can, in the
greatest amounts possible.  Or if you are saying that
my above viewpoint won't allow for the growth of the
more difficult species.  Along those lines, I want to
throw out a question.  What are the most difficult
plants?  I've had no problems with the often cited
rotala family (wallichii, macrandra).  The most
finicky plant I own is didiplis.

It would be interesting to experiment with a difficult
plant, but I am not sure what is out there beyond what
I already have.  Anyone interested in trading/selling
Eusteralis?  (please don't reduce me to begging).  :)

Arthur