RE: onyx

> 1. Rinsing. Did you rinse this stuff first or rely on the aquarium's filter
> to take care of the yuck that came along with it?

It's comparing grey mud to red mud. Rinse well 3 times in bucket in small
portions and add to tank.

> Flourite has a lot of gunk
> with it ... it just seems like rinsing sand would be more difficult than
> rinsing something that's more gravel-like. (I usually just put the stuff in
> a bucket, then hop in the shower with it, and keep turning teh substrate
> material over, filling the bucket, emptying the bucket ... maybe my rinsing
> technique needs improvement anyway.) Just curious.

Nope it's the same. A little easier on one's hands though:)

> 2. Compacting. I should probably just look back in the archives on this ...
> I'm sure you brought it up with Greg.

Not compaction but water flow through the substrate. Compared to the larger
grain sizes of flourite less water would go in and out. But it still works
very well. Not exactly sure why yet. I also have not use it in the longer
term and used it in highly pruned tanks. That will be the real test but
plant health is good.

And yes I do use a Mac. It's not an old one.
Regards,
Tom Barr