Boron

Hello all,

After some trials (failures) to see what i could do to get the new growth on *some* of my plants to stop coming up distorted and small, I have decided that I have a boron deficiency. I tried CaCO3 and epsom salt for a few weeks now, and I think that there was some deficiency there too, but to only *some* avail.

I have 2 questions:
1. My water is soft (1-2 gh/kh) and I wonder if there is a correlation between that and a lack of boron?

2. Is the boric acid you see in the drug store safe for aquarium use? It is also used in roach preparations, but I'm not sure that's the best way....hehe. And are there guidelines such as tsp/gal, etc for dosing?

Thanks in advance,
John