Plant attorney

Plant attorney. Who defends the plants? Who's going to stick up for them?
Well someone has to. It doesn't pay well but I like the job.

Cavan wrote:

> So, I think we've decided that wallichii needs quite
> low nutrient levels to do well.  But, what of GH?
> Based on my own experience and that of Tom Barr and
> others, many so called soft water plants do just fine
> in harder water (such as macrandra).  It seems that
> wallichii may be an exception.  Thoughts?

I think it just needs perhaps a more narrow range of NO3's. I've roasted it
due to this. Too little often. If it's en masse in your tank it responds
better than if you have just a few sprig's and it seems to be out competed
by some fast growers. SAE's attacked it.

> On a side note, why is it that so many sources of
> information on aquatic plants (like the Baensch
> Atlases) say that so many plants native to soft water
> cannot adapt to harder water?  How did this myth take
> hold?  What other plants really do adhere to this
> belief that is largely untrue?

I have not believed a book for some time. Walstad's was excellent for that
approach to tank keeping. But most of the others? I like them as reference
but much of what has been stated is not true in that book. Oh yea, I can
prove it:) Things have changed, new info is out there. Better communication
and using different tap waters etc. Ya just learn more these days.

> Thanks, Cavan

Regarding the other stuff...quit it! Your wasting your time and energy at
this point. Keep it off list and the plants ON list. That will help all
involved.
Regards,
Tom Barr