Plant safe fish for low water levels

This may be slightly off the subject but I'm hoping someone can help me.
I'm planning a paludarium for a 46gal(36x15x20) bowfront. I won't bore you
all with the details, but (on paper at least) I should have about 12gal of
open water (not including the water flooding the substrate etc) with a
maximum depth of 8". Current should be moderate (I'm planning 125-180gph
canister). The plants will be the major focus, but I hope to have other
inhabitants as well. Can anyone suggest a few fish species which will a)
survive and be happy in 8" or less of flowing water b) not disturb/eat
plants c) handle an average of 220ppm CaCO_3 (apparently this is "normal"
for Tempe AZ) d) be large enough not to be eaten by frogs/newts and small
enough not to eat frogs/newts/snails and e) look attractive :)
Its a tall order I know (the 220ppm+plants has me stumped) but any
ideas/suggested resources would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Jason F. Smith
Center for Cognitive Neuroscience
Department of Neurology