Re: silicone

>S. Hieber wrote:
>> Note that Silicone is generally used for caulking and sealing against
>> > water and therefore has fungicides added to reduce discoloration.
>> >
>> > Aquarium-safe silicone does not have the additives.
>> >
>> > Using silicone with any fungicides or algacides can more or less slowly
>> > poison you fish and/or plants.
>> >  <snip, in bulk probably sold in bulk for aquairum manufactureres>
>>
>In general, I understand you need only see "Safe for Food
>Service" on the tube to know that these additives are not
>present and it's not toxic to your tank.  Most silicones won't
>have that on the tube, but around here DAP is a brand that
>does label that way (I've used that with no problems.)
>
>- --charley
>charleyb at cytomation_com

I do recall having seen ones that have "safe for food" and "Not for use in
aquariums" on it.  Not only does it not have to leak, but it must also be
able to deal with constant submerision, which I infer not all can for some
reason.  I could be wrong, but I wouldn't have sprung for the more
expensive siliicone if I'd thought regular would do.

Doug

Doug Karpa-Wilson
1821 S. Maxwell St.
Bloomington, IN 47401