liquid fertilizers

Perhaps a stupid question : why use liquid fertilizers in stead of
tablets ? It seems to me that the bottled products just bring more
contaminants in a tank than tablets. And frankly I don't see why plants
should grow less without the liquids. I can imagine that tablets can
work more efficiently for they can be placed in direct contact with the
roots.

I know that plants take up a lot of nutrients through their leafs, but
is that really the most important way in order to get excellent growth ?

Thanks for your answers

James Fuller