Re: tank pressure reading

> Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 20:42:36 EDT
> From: BErney1014 at aol_com
>
> I have been trying to find a leak in my co2 system. I bought a second
> regulator. My first 2.5 pound tank would last about a year. Then it went down
> to 6 months and now it's gone in a week and yesterday it went in one day.
> Leak checks with soap show nothing leaking. The filler rechecked the bottle,
> OK. By the time I got home the 2.5 pound bottle registered 400 pounds when I
> installed the regulator. I rechecked for leaks, found none. This morning it
> was empty. (gone in 12 hours)
> My old regulator would register 2,000 pounds with a fresh fill. The new one
> registered 700 and yesterday the refill registered 400. What should a filled
> tank register? > Thanks,> Bruce

It sounds to me like the tank valve is leaking around the stem packing.
Are you opening the valve all the way, or just cracking it open?  I know
that oxygen valves have a seat at the top to seal the valve stem when it
is all the way open to prevent this very problem.  I would expect other
high pressure gasses to have the same valve design.  BTW, a full CO2
tank should have about 890 PSI at room temperature, but you really have
to weight the tank to tell if it is full.

Best regards,
Bob