Cloudy day

I bout some SAE's yesterday and followed the directions given by
http://www.aquariumfish.net/.  They stated to turn off your lights the first
day you put in new fish because they have been kept in a dark environment
and this will help reduce the stress.....so I did and this morning I saw a
nice improvement with my plants!

So then it dawned on me that during spring all plants look green and during
summer all plants look burned up.   During spring there are a lot of cloudy
days and not a lot of clouds during summer.  I then started to wonder if it
would be a good idea to every once and a while turn out the lights, (kind of
like a cloudy day) and help the plants recover from the bright light?

Has anyone done a study regarding this?