Amazon sword propagation

I have a question with regard to the flower stalks of
an Amazon Sword. A few months ago I purchased 2 small
Swords from a local supplier and planted them in a low
tech ,peat substrate, non-CO2 injected 160 litre tank
with 60 watts of full spectrum light. They grew
extremely well and took over one end of the tank. I
wanted to propagate them and read in the archive that
altering the photoperiod can induce flowering. Two
weeks after the change both plants produced flower
stalks.
One stalk is about 450mm long (18 inches?) and has 6
nodes each producing a plant or two. The other is
approx one metre long (40 inches?) with about 15
nodes, none of which are producing plants. This stalk
is still getting longer and one of the nodes has put
out a daughter stalk.
Now, finally, to my question. Is this second plant
putting all its resources into lengthening its stalk
and hence not producing any plants? Can I cut the
stalk to induce plant formation, or will this damage
it? Both plants have had flowers on the stalks but
these are gone now except at the still growing end of
the longer one.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Almost forgot to mention that both stalks are fully
submerged and always have been.

Regards
Dave Morris
Christchurch New Zealand