K2O vs. K2SO4/KCl

Greetings all,

after having read the Sears/Conlin paper, and follow ups (yes, all of them), as well as the other archival messages dealing with fertilizer. I am still a bit in the dark about some potassium issues. Namely, why potassium sulfate or potassium chloride are recommended over simple potash (K2O). All of the readilly available commercial preparations indicate K2O, and the stuff sure is cheap! Is there a reason why I shouldn't use it?

Thanks a ton in advance,
John Wheeler