RE: Copper tubing and swords

> Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 01:16:38 +0200
> From: Lennart Eden <le.e at privat_utfors.se>
> Subject: Copper tubing & swords
>
> Is copper tubing a good alternative for delivering CO2 from a
> regulator to the tank? With a piece of silicone hose going into
> the water. I've got quite a distance, and a concrete wall, between
> where I want to put the CO2 bottle and where the tanks are. I
> intend to have separate needle valves and bubble counters for each
> tank but I'm not sure what would be the best place to put them.
> Close to the bottle or close to the tank? If I place the needle
> valves and bubble counters close to the bottle, will the CO2 and
> water from the bubble counter verdigrise the copper tubing and
> bring copper into the tank?
>
> Lennart Edén
> Norrkoping Sweden

I would say it is probably one of those "why risk it" things.  Copper
tubing is fairly resistant to corrosion, but one of the things that
can cause pitting in copper water pipes is acidic water with high
CO2 content.  Although you have a gas and not water, I know my set-up would
often have condensation build-up in the line and I imagine that could
easily work its way into your tank.

Personally, I don't think it would be worth the risk.  Any particular reason

you did not want to just stick with plastic tubing?

Cheers,
Alec

Alec Dale
Aquaculture Biologist
Pollution, Prevention, and Remediation
B.C. Ministry of Environment, Lands, and Parks
Vox:       250-356-0660
Fax:       250-953-3856
Email:     alec.dale at gems5_gov.bc.ca