Subject: Re: check valve for CO2 neccessary?

>>Maybe not necessary, but a wise investment when you
can use a $1 plastic airline check valve to protect a
$65 tank, $65 regulator and $20 needle valve. <<

I have understood that the cheap check valves will
only work for a month or two, and after that the
rubber gives way and it is useless.  But I have never
used one myself on a co2 tank.  My experience with
them on regular air lines is that they are junk.

Alternatives would be a metallic check valve
(corrosion?) or the little nifty number that ADA
(Amano) makes, that is entirely glass (not that I know
who to get ahold of it).

The real people to ask would be those that are using
the Eheim diffuser.  What kind of check valve is it,
and how long do they last?

Another thing to consider is the pressure needed to
overcome the check valve, i.e. keep the valve open.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but the speculation
on this list is that this increased pressure leads to
the catastrophic end-of-tank co2 dumps.  Nobody wants
that.  We know how to prevent it (never let the
cylinder get empty), but it is not exactly dummy
proof.

I haven't personally read on this list of a co2 dump
involving a needle valve.

My setup is cylinder-->double-gauge regulator-->needle
valve-->Co2 Misty II Diffuser/bubble counter.  It runs
at a pressure less than 4.  If I get ahold of the
Amano check valve I will report back.

Arthur
http://www.geocities.com/anwestover