check valve for CO2 neccessary?

hello all.  I'm thinking of putting together a high pressure CO2 DIY system so
I won't have to mix yeast every week or two.
   My father is giving me a good regulator since he has a spare for his
welding.  So this means I'll have to buy just a tank and needle vale, right?
   Some pages on line metion using check valves in the line from teh tank to
the aquarium.  Is this neccessary?   Surely the pressure on the CO@ tank is so
much higher than that of the water from the aquarium, that the water is never
going to push it's way back down the line?
   Also, am I missing any vital components here?
Thanks,
-Chrys