Vals losing root systems

In the past week two of my vals have floated loose of the sand, their root systems entirely
gone.  The leaves look healthy - long, green, fast growing. But then, bam...  no roots.
Completely gone.  Just little stubby bundle at the leave juncture.  What the heck is going on?
 (Substrate is sand w/laterite, using jobes sticks at base and adding PMDD & Tetra Florapride
to the water column daily.)  Parenthetically, I dosed with Quik Cure about three weeks aqo.
I've heard it mentioned that this can effect plants, but have never heard any specifics.
Could this be the culprit?