Re:freaked out over shrimp!

Hello fellow fish keepers!  I know that you won't mind this slightly strange
post.  About four or five months ago, I bought four of those amano shrimp to
put in my planted 38.  These are not ghost shrimp, but the fancy, somewhat
expensive algae eating sort.  I decided to quarantine them because I am
paranoid about disease.  Well, all but one quickly died of unknown cause.  I
dropped the remaining shrimp in the 38.  When I didn't see him anywhere for a
couple of months I thought he was dead.  Then two weeks ago, I saw a HUGE
molted shell on top of the driftwood log. It was eaten within hours by
snails, so I knew he must have left it the previous night.  Last night I saw
a weird looking projection on my log just at lights out.  I thought, hey I've
never seen that before, is my log falling apart?  Then it moved it's
antennae!!  It was my shrimp!!  He was HUGE, and dark chocolate brown with a
mahogany tail.  He looked almost as big as a crawdad.  Now every single
picture in books and on the net has these shrimp sort of clearish gray with a
couple of teensy maroon spots, sort of the same color as ghost shrimp.  How
come he turned brown?  He perfectly matches the log and lives in a crack in
it, coming out at night to eat algae.  Anyway, rejoice with me, my shrimp
lives!!  Thanks Teresa.