Stargrass (was Re: Amano's style)

>>I'm almost inspired enough by these images to go
another few rounds with the Stargrass in spite of it's
tendency toward black tips.<<

Stargrass is a funny plant.  I will share some
personal observations, and ideas that I have found on
the web.

1. Tends to do poorly (temporarily) if light levels
are suddenly increased.  Burns out, then comes back.

2.  Grows much more compactly under high light.  At
lower light levels, the leaves don't create the
origami effect that I like.

3.  Does poorly with swordtails.  Or at least my
swordtail.  After adding a large female, the stargrass
became very ratty looking.  Torn leaves, small leaves.
 I couldn't figure it out.  Then I noticed my
swordtail muching on what appeared to be new buds.
Removed swordtail a few weeks later, and now I am
observing a return of normal growth.

4.  Black edges indicates some sort of nutrient
problem, and not really a trait of the plant.  I can
recall having some black edges in the past, but none
for a long time now.

5.  I have two larger tanks (75gal and 55gal).  In my
75gal, the stargrass often shows striations
(green-white-green-white) that look to be signs of
nutrient deficiency.  In fact, I use it as a measure
of my micronutrient levels.  However, in my 55gal
which I fertlilize very sparingly, I have never seen
this.  Possible explanations (I use CF and co2 tank in
75, NO and yeast in 55gal; 55gal has laterite, 75gal
has only gravel).  So maybe at higher light levels it
competes more poorly for micronutrients.  Or maybe the
laterite is adding extra iron.

Stargrass is a great plant.  I would love to do a
sculpted stargrass layout.

Arthur