Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 07:31:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: "L. Merrell" <merrell at u_washington.edu>
Subject: Re: bga MIC

Thanks for your insights. I am well aware of the risks
of undertreating
bacterial infections (I'm a pharmacy student, proper
use of antibiotics
is my mantra).  I treated the tank with 2.5mg/L as
recommended and it
worked like a charm.  There seems to be some
controversy regarding that
dosage and I was curious about the science behind the
dose.  Generally
one determines the MIC (minimum inhibitory
concentration) and then
either
ensures that concentration stays well above that level
or that a
certain
amount of time is spent above the MIC ( concentration
vs time dependent
killing) depending on the drug in question.  I just
wanted to crunch
the
numbers.
Thanks!