Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #1006

>Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 15:59:53 -0500
>From: "Len Kutz" <len at kutzfamily_net>
>Subject: Neon Rainbow Eggs Maybe???
>
>Just yesterday I noticed one of my Neon Rainbows was looking pregnant.  Then
>today I found this "thing" sitting just at the top of the water on a leaf of
>my Ruben Sword.
>(http://www.kutzfamily.net/photos/fish/May2001/eggs_maybe1.JPG).
>
>Could this be eggs from the Neon Rainbow?  If so what should I do?  They are
>very close to the overflow so I don't think any babies would have much of a
>chance in the current.  In fact even if they survive the current I don't
>think they will last very long with 6 large Boesemani as tank mates.
>
>I've got an empty 10 gallon tank.  I'm thinking of clipping the leaf and
>moving it to the 10 gallon tank.  Any suggestions?
>
>If it's not eggs any Ideas what it could be?  In case you are wondering, no
>I don't have any birds in the house.

I saw your picture of the lump and it doesn't look at all like anything
that could have come from a fish or, for that matter, a snail.  It looks
like a lump of semi-compacted mulm with some calcium or other whitish stuff
in it.  Do you suppose it is something that your filter could have coughed
up?  Do you have a lot of calcium in your water?

Nice looking Ruben Sword.

Paul Krombholz, in  central Mississippi, where anothe dry summer may be
getting underway.