val question

Hi. I have some italian vals planted along the back of my tank. They are
multiplying like mad but are not getting taller. I have a VERY dense
thicket of 6" valls. Do these need to be divided? Will dividing them help
with attaining height? I planted the same variety in a different tank and
they are 2'plus. The tank in question has 3 watts CF lighting per gallon,
turface substrate, pmdd, co2, pH 7, kH and dH around 7, temp in upper
70's, no detectable ammonia or nitrates or nitrites ( I doubled the
nitrates in the PMDD).
Thanks, Laurel

http://students.washington.edu/merrell/aquaria.htm