Re: Straw

> Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 16:50:51 -0000
> From: "Ryan Duff" <duffy730 at hotmail_com>
> Subject: Algae and Barley Straw
>
> Hey Guys,
>
> I remember the articles on barley straw inhibiting the growth of algae about
> 6 months ago... well I found some and figured I'll try some out. It was in
> this catalog called "Picket Fence" (which I am NOT related to in ANY way)
> which happened to come in the mail the other day. you get two bales (enough
> to treat 1000 gallons each for 6 months) for only $8.95 I think I'm going to
> buy some and try it out. If anyone has any comments let me know. And, Does
> it really work? I guess I'm going to find out! It won't harm plants as far
> as I know. please let me know if it does asap before i order it. oh yeah...
> here's the link to order some:
> http://www.hometrendscatalog.com/store/SID3ae8c8a9154d2@43c7/0/775/777/37557.h
> tml
>
> Ryan Duff

A few folks tried it and bought a bale out here some time ago. Works in
ponds relatively well. Did not do a thing for the tank. I got some off the
him and tried it, nothing and no effect. Suppose it'd be good sheep food.
Not the most usable stuff. We packed in a sump and a canister filter. Didn't
hurt but it did not help either..... like most things I've tried to stop
algae by a chemical means.....
Regards,
Tom Barr