[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: I want to buy large quantity of Sulfuric Acid.

> Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 00:24:47 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Anh Thach <thanh at redhat_ccc.cccd.edu>
> How do you guys lower the pH of a 60 gallons tank? I use R.O water but the
> pH is still high like 7.2-7.4, and if I want to lower it to 6.6-6.8, that
> would take a lot of pH Down. A bottle of pH Down cost $4.50. Is there a
> cheaper alternative such as buying large quantity of H2SO4? Where to buy?
> Thanks for any help.

If you are using just RO water, the pH should be unstable (unmeasurable)
but near 7, and the slightest addition of an acid should drive the pH
down.  You have some alkaline buffer somewhere.

Back to your question, you can buy muretic acid at Home Depot or the
hardware store for about $2 per quart or $3 per gallon.  It is
concentrated hydrochloric acid, I think it is about 28% HCl.  I don't
really recommend using a strong acid to adjust pH, but it would probably
be a better choice than sulfuric.

Best regards,