re: new member

>>I have a 55 regular and 220 watts of light power.  Now I know from the FAQ
section that I exceed my light wattage for the tank size, how ever I am
wondering if there is some kind of filter out there that would allow me to
block out the amount of light that my low to medium light plants can get?<<

I don't know about filters, but here in California there is a chain of
stores called Tap Plastics which will cut to size a variety of plastic,
aryllic, or glass that is tinted to various degrees. I dont know if these
stores ar outside of the state or not. But wouldnt it be easier to simply
cut back on the number of bulbs?

>>The tank has been going for about a year and a half.  The lights are new
however, about 3 months old.   The plants have been looking like they are
getting burnt out.  Kind of yellow around the edges.  I assume this is from
over lighting, but I am not positive about that.  It just started to get
that way after the light change.  Some other plans are doing very well
though.<<

Its more likely that the increase of your light created nutrient shortages.
Depending on your KH level, CO2 should be 20 to 30 ppm.

Nitrogen shortages produce: Old Leaves turn yellowish.  Small stunted plants
with very large root systems; leaves smaller and lighter in color than
normal; slow growth.  Paleness will start at the tips of the lower leaves.

Potassium shortage: Yellowing of the margins of young leaves, iron
chlorosis, yellowing and curling of older leaves

>>My other question is the fish tank contest......will there be another?  I
sure did like those tanks.  There are some very talented people out there. I
would like to see some web sites of our members also.  Is there a directory
of member web sites?<<

I think its safe to say the AGA will do this again! James? You can buy a CD
ROM of all the pictures of last years competition for only $10. What a deal!
Its worth much, much more. I think you will find most of the people's WEB
sites who frequent this list listed on my WEB page, but I may have missed a
few new ones. Welcome to this list Dave!

Robert Paul H
http://www.aquabotanic.com