Re: How do I remove this algae from the glass?

Lazarus Miskowski <lazmiskowski at yahoo_com> wrote:

>> For what it's worth, I used to use a scraper
>> containing a razor blade, and I
>> never once scratched the glass. Magnetic scrapers
>and > rocks are my favorite way to do that. :)
>
>I got a magnetic scraper a couple of months ago.  The
>scraper part uses a velcro-like texture to scrape away
>soft algaes.  I have not noticed it to scratch my
>glass, and it saves me a ton of time and effort.  Has
>anyone besides the above person noticed these scrapers
>to scratch glass?

I have. I've been using razor blade scrapers on glass aquariums since
I was a kid (early 60's) and never had a problem. I got scratched glass
only when I decided to "experiment", first with magnetic pads (this same
one with velcro), then with 3M scrub pads (the hard side). The razor blade,
by design, cannot catch tiny hard particles in between itself and the glass,
the pad-type scrapers can.

- Ivo Busko
  Baltimore, MD