Flowering sword plant

Roger,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately what is coming out of the plant does not have nodes for some reason. It has just grown right out of the water, and seems to look like a super large grass seed like thing...

Its definitely not a leaf. BTW this plant is big, and getting bigger. It has been growing emersed for several months now, and the leaves keep getting larger and taller. It is now up to 18 inches above the height of the tank. I should really never have let it go emersed... I dont have a key so i cannot identify it.

I have had tropica and normal swords throw out those stem like internode things where the plantlets develop, but i never saw flowers... With them, there were definitely small roots while the plantlets were developing. I dont know, maybe i'm thinking flowers in the conventional sense, perhaps they look different? Plus, all the swords i have propagated so far have had the plantlet stems completely submersed...

With this sword, i will be interested to see what develops. Have you guys seen anubias flower buds? This looks a little like it..

On a side note, the plant's roots have grown to overtake one whole half of my 6 foot tank. The other day i tried to shift it a few inches, the whole gravel bed came up with it...:( I cannot believe how big it is.. Might try it in a pond in summer:P

Thanks again guys

Vincent

Free web-based email for Perth, Western Australia ---> http://www.perthmail.com