Re: really, I am setting up a micro-tank

"kidt cordry" wrote:

>I am going to put a 3 inch fish in a 1 gal pickle jar with plants and I do
want >to rig a co2 line. The only tech on the tank is the air stone. No other
>filtration except the plants, cold water (room temp), sunlit, hand full of
kitty
>litter clay on bottom.

My introduction to aquariums was via an "Aquababies" tank, which measures
about 4" x 4" x 4.5", and granted I didn't know boo about keeping fish at that
time, it certainly taught me a lot - including the futility of keeping such
tiny tanks, despite the bonsai type lure of such a miniaturised and portable
world.

I even had it as a planted tank for about 6 months with a soil + gravel
substrate; my next biggest tank is a System 3 Eclipse, which is 3 gal.  My
advice would be to go to at least that size, smaller is horribly unstable -
just a bit extra fish food one day is enough to tip the balance into negative,
and you do want to keep your fish in good shape, not horribly stressed, I take
it!  (I initially had a pair of wild type guppies, and later zebra danio
babies in the Aquababies tiny tank - they all got moved to a bigger tank
pretty soon!)

Also, I think the CO2 would make the instability worse - better just to have
it as a low tech tank, with some means of water circulation and to try to
remove some of the mulm as it develops, ie a small filter with ditchable
filter material.  And lots of water changes!  And airstone is a start, a
little filter would be even better, especially if you get a bit bigger tank.

Kind regards,

Susi Barber