Re: breeding tank setup/apistos

I would say you can just add whatever nutrients are
necessary for the plants.  I bred borellii in a ten
gallon a while back.  I was using lots of distilled
water to gradually bring the general hardness down.
To my surprise, they spawned at 100ppm hardness.  They
were wild caught too.

I think diet is more important here.  Mosquito larvae
work well.  Feeding with a baster insures that none of
the little buggers survive to get revenge on you.

You should be ready to move your male after spawning.
My female killed the male pretty savagely before I
could get him out of there.  Maybe the tank was too
small, but....

I hope this helps, Cavan