OT: Tankful O' Bettas?

I sent the following to the Betta List and didn't get much response.

I am curious if research has been done into a technique used for African
Cichlid tanks. If two African Cichlids (of
some species) are together in a tank, they will fight until one is dead,
much like Bettas. But if the tank is heavily stocked from the beginning, the
cichlids will chill out and the aggression never occurs. They have too many
adversaries to start anything. Has this technique been tried with Bettas?

I don't care much for Discus either. A planted tank of full of colorful
Bettas would be stunning.

Tom