Re: Cryptocoryne book

Tomoko wrote "I found "Cryptocorynen" by Jacobsen
(1982) mentioned in the Krib.  Does anyone know
where to find this book?  If there is another book
specializing in Crypt, please let me know the name
and where to find it."

I reply

http://users.bart.nl/~crypts/ has a lot of info on
Crypts.  At the bottom of each specie page there are
many references.  Very few of these are books, but
there are some books listed.  Neils Jacobsen
(Jacobsen, N., 1982. Cryptocorynen. Alfred Kernen
Verlag, Stuttgart: Niels Jacobsen (cant remember the
year) Aquarium Plants), Kasslemann (Kasselmann, C.,
1995. Aquarienpflanzen. Ulmer, Stuttgart), Rataj
(Rataj, K. & Horeman, T.J., 1977. Aquarium Plants.
TFH Publ, USA), Wit (Wit, H.C.D.de, 1971.
Aquarienpflanzen. Ulmer, Stuttgart) are listed.
The most readily available is Rataj.  The others
are rare in the US, I don't know about elsewhere.
Wit has his 1971 text translated into English by
Blandford publishing.  You can find these
occasionally by using http://www.abebooks.com/
Usually you need to have these books shipped in
from the UK.  Juri Stoloda (sp?) has a 1970's
timeframe TFH book.  There isn't too much here
that isn't in the Rataj TFH book.

The best review that I have seen of the genus
Cryptocoryne is Rataj's Revision work (Rataj, K.,
1975. Revision of the genus Cryptocoryne Fischer.
Studie CSAV, c.3.Praha.)  Again, it's tough to get
your hands on this and to the best of my knowledge
all pictures/drawings are in black and white.

I have yet to find the Cryptocorynen book.  I've
been looking for better than a year.

There are a couple of other authors, Baensch and
Tepoot (Sp?).  These books are available.  Baensch
has information and small color pictures.  There
are three useful texts and each has only a small
portion dedicated to plants.  There are only a few
crypts listed in each text.  Tepoot is a wonderful
coffee table book on plants.  It has great pictures
and little else.  There is fairly good coverage of
Crypts.

Cross your fingers the Kasselmann book should be
out in English soon.  If anyone finds a text with
good coverage of Crypts, I'd love to hear about it!

Good Luck,

Chris

=====
newellcr at yahoo_com