Fruit Flies and SAEs

After several years of suffering due to what I thought was "mold and
mildew" in the basement where I keep my tanks I finally realized that I
was actually quite allergic to the freeze dried blood worms (my staple
food for all my fish).....what has this to do with the title of my post?
I started growing fruit flies again to replace the FDBWs and I have
observed that my big fat lazy SAEs that would gobble up the FDBW or flake
food and ignore the algae, can't seem to figure out how to eat fruit
flies and have become lean and efficient algae eaters again.

Tim