Re: Water Quality Question - Please help any chemists on the list !

>Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 14:04:59 +0800
>From: "J. Hammond" <geohammo at iinet_net.au>

>Could someone please suggest what I should do to my tap
>water to make it more suitable for plants ? I currently
>do not add anything to the tapwater. Would it be correct
>to say that my water is very soft and not well buffered ?
>
>pH - 6.4
>Carbonate Hardness - 10ppm or 0.56 degrees
>General Hardness - 30ppm or 1.68 degrees

Yes, very soft and little buffering.

>Another question.  I measured the pH in my 10gal tank and
>it is 7.0 with the carbonate hardness at 10ppm or 0.56 deg
>and the general hardness at 1.68 deg.

Did you also measure the KH and GH of the tank water or just assume it's the
same as the tap water because you don't add anything?  The measurements seem
incinsistent. How do you measure pH? With very little buffering, pH may be
problematic go determine by some means.

>How come the pH is so high compared to my tap water
>and why does the CO2 level seem so low (after reading the
>charts).  I would have thought with such a low carbonate
>hardness that my water would be acid due to the CO2 injection.

I'm guessing "measurement error".  Have you checked your test kits and
methods against known values?

George Booth in Ft. Collins, CO (booth at frii dot com)
The web site for Aquatic Gardeners by Aquatic Gardeners
  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts/