Re: Strange happenigs regarding plants bubbling

Jon Hammond wrote:

> I just changed the water in my 10gal tank as it was a lil bit cloudy (tiny
> by).. I changed about 50%.. After I changed it my plants started bubbling
> like crazy ! what causes this ?

Lots of people see this.  I've heard three explanations:

1)  The water you add is supercharged with oxygen and other gases.  Some
of the gases form bubbles by themselves and the high O2 levels means
that the O2 produced by the plants can't go into solution, so it forms
bubbles to.  The result is lots of bubbles.

2)  The water you add my have a higher CO2 content than your tank water,
so the plants bubble more until the CO2 is gone.

3)  Your tap water contains something (probably a trace element) that's
missing in your tank and the plants respond to that until it's used up.

Of these, I suppose that (1) is most likely.

Roger Miller