Re: Injecting CO2 into the intake of canisters

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 10:10:34 EST
> From: K9AUB at aol_com
> Subject: Re: Injecting CO2 into the intake of canisters
>
> > is injecting bubbles of c02 into cannister filter intakes bad for the
> >  cannister.  Surely the pinging and small pockets of c02 cant be good for
> the
> >  motor or impellor ?
>
> All I can tell you is from personal experience, and that I've injected CO2 as
> you describe into both canisters and power filters, and have never noticed
> even the slightest evidence of damage of any sort to the impeller blades.
> Eheim canisters seem to be better suited to CO2 injection because the motor
> is located after the media.  With Fluval canisters, a vigorous CO2 flow can
> be noisy, and can occasionally cause vaporlock of the impeller, stopping
> water flow.

 I have three Eheim Eccos and they do not take too kindly to having CO2 injected
into them.  One actually seized up and got extremely hot due to vapor lock.  This
filter was damaged to the point that it had to be replaced.  The other two would
get the "rattles" quite frequently.  I have since ceased injecting CO2 via my
Ecco's.

Regards,

Ed