Re: tank picture: overexposed upper leaves

K12Trout at aol_com wrote:

> Roger - the ultimate problem here is the lighting, not
>  the exposure.  you can try metering for the most
>  brightly lit leaves and you'll get them at the correct
>  exposure but everything else will be too dark.  or you
>  could take a lot of readings and try to strike the best
>  balance - which a lot of the better dedicated light
>  meters do anyway.  no matter what there's just a big
> disparity in lighting.  the best way  i know to handle
>  this sort of thing is to use a gradient filter - cokin
> makes them i believe.  its basically a square  piece of
>  plastic thats shaded neutral grey on one side and fades
>  to clear on the other - its the sort of thing people
>  use to take pictures of sunsets to get both the sky and
>  the foreground correctly exposed, and maybe to make the
>  sky all orange or purple while they're at it.  you need
>  to buy a whole adapter unit to fit the filters onto
>  your camera.  its not terribly expensive but i'm not sure its worth it either, imho
>
> cheers
> elie

The best way IMO is to use a high-end digital camera. Digital cameras
use charge-coupled devices (CCDs) in place of photographic film.
CCDs have typically a much wider dynamic range than film. I have
pictures of my tanks taken with both methods, and the difference is
amazing.

- Ivo Busko
  Baltimore, MD